What We Do
Goals and Outcomes
The goals of the Social CirKISH program can be divided into four main areas. These areas are: academic, physical, personal, and social. The outcomes in each of these areas are listed below.
Students who participate in Social CirKISH are able to transfer the skills learned through the program into the academic setting by:
- developing and maintaining positive attendance patterns.
- increased participation in classroom discussions and activities.
- asking questions, asking for help, and taking risks on assignments.
- increased problem solving skills.
- utilization of imagination, initiative, and creativity.
- setting and accomplishing academic goals and expectations.
- increased respect for teachers and peers.
Through participation in the Social CirKISH program, students will exhibit improvements in the following areas of physical health.
- Refined motor skills through participation in various circus related activities.
- Building lower and upper body strength and flexibility.
- Improved balance by developing core strength.
- Development of healthy exercise habits.
- Recognizing the joy and satisfaction of being physically fit.
- Improved eye-hand coordination.
- Utilizing stretching and relaxation techniques.
- Maintaining a body/mind balance.
Students will exhibit an increase in Safety and Responsibility by:
learning, respecting, and following rules and safety practices and procedures.
- developing positive commitment and attendance patterns.
- taking responsibility for their own actions.
- giving respect to themselves, their peers, and their trainers.
- increasing their ability to focus and pay attention to a given task for extended periods of time.
Students will exhibit an increase in Self Awareness by:
- understanding when to ask for help.
- setting personal physical achievement goals through self assessment.
- holding themselves accountable for their own successes and failures.
- recognizing and beginning to understand and utilize their own strengths and limitations.
- recognizing and beginning to embrace their personal initiative and motivation.
- increasing their self-expression.
Students will exhibit an increase in Confidence and Self-Esteem by:
- increasing positive self-talk and recognizing unique and positive qualities about themselves.
- taking risks and attempting new activities. excelling beyond perceived personal limitations.
Students will exhibit an increase in Coping Skills by:
- developing the ability to focus on a task that requires repetition and long term commitment.
- developing and utilizing creative problem solving skills.
- learning and practicing various decision making techniques and strategies.
- learning goal-setting techniques and strategies to accomplish goals.
Youth participants (both elementary and high school level) in the Social CirKISH program exhibit increased social skills on both a personal and interpersonal level.
Students will exhibit an increase in Trust by:
- building and maintaining strong and trusting relationships with their peers and coaches.
- understanding and respecting personal boundaries.
- engaging in activities that will promote self trust.
Students will exhibit an increase in Collaboration and Cooperation by:
- working in a group and learning to communicate with their trainers and peers in a respectful manner.
- building and maintaining positive relationships with their peers and trainers.
- recognizing the positive qualities in themselves and others.
- recognizing and using the power of team and teamwork.
Students will exhibit an increase in Empathy and Understanding by:
- respecting themselves, their coaches and their peers.
- encouraging and supporting others.
- recognizing and valuing the worth of team.
- maintaining optimism and using it to motivate and inspire others.
Students will exhibit an increase in Diversity and Cultural Awareness by:
- participating in various cultural acts related to the circus.
- engaging and interacting with a diverse group of peers and coaches.
The Social CirKISH trainers are highly qualified, trained circus performers who exhibit a desire and ability to inspire youth through their coaching, mentoring, and leadership. Their primary focus is to create a safe environment and facilitate circus experiences that promote and foster an increase in self-esteem and social interaction for their students. They also care for the condition and safety of the premises and equipment and serve as liaisons with the school sites and other after school partners.